Opt-in/Out of Social Media sharing
Moderator(s): Mandy Dennis, Betsy Hanson
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

3/8/2018 at 9:54:38 AM GMT
Opt-in/Out of Social Media sharing
FBS has customers working on establishing policies allowing brokers to opt-in/out of social media sharing separate from IDX opt-in/out settings. I'm wondering if other MLSs have considered what the best practice is for this. MLS operators, please reply as to how your MLS handles this today and what you think should be the best practice. This is a great opportunity for CMLS to get out in front of an issue with a recommended best practice.

Last edited Thursday, March 8, 2018
3/9/2018 at 11:14:16 AM GMT
Hi Mike, Maybe I am misunderstanding the issue, but our members can only share their own listings to social media sites. They have no right to do anything with another broker's listings, absent permission from that other broker. With IDX of course, brokers do give permission to display on each others websites. Joe Ryan, NEREN CEO

3/9/2018 at 1:08:47 PM GMT
Hi Mike. Through the social media sharing option we've built into our MLS platform, only the listing agent (or broker) can share the listing. However, outside of that option, our opinion is that a social media page can serve as an agent's IDX website, provided the social media page can comply with our IDX Rules. Hope this helps.

3/9/2018 at 1:37:49 PM GMT
I should add that, if an office wants to opt out their listings out of a social media site that complies with IDX Rules, there is no separate opt out for this.  They would need to opt out of IDX altogether.  Keep in mind, at least in our Rules, an office opting out of IDX is prohibited from displaying other offices' listings on their own website.  If you build in some level that allows only for opting out of social media IDX, I don't know what happens then.  The opting out office would be prohibited from displaying other offices listings on only their social media sites, but not other websites?  This sounds like a nightmare to police.  To me, the best practice is first, if an agent wishes to display other offices' listings on their social media site it must comply with IDX rules.  Second, if an office doesn't want their listings appearing on social media sites, they'll need to opt out of IDX completely.  Building in a layered IDX opt-out that permits for just social media opt out sounds like a logistical nightmare.  

3/9/2018 at 4:15:04 PM GMT
Hi Mike, thanks for opening this thread! I am not aware of an NNRMLS policy, rule or reg that specifically allows brokers to opt out/in to social media sharing...I think that our IDX policy would require that if another broker's listing(s) is shared on SM then that post would need to follow broker reciprocity fair display rules. As I write this it seems to become apparent, to me at least, that this would have a self-policing function because what broker/agent wants to actively market another broker's/agent's listing/brand??

Andrew Cristancho
NNRMLS Director of Member Services and Training
Cell | (775) 771-7541
Email | andrew@nnrmls.com

3/9/2018 at 4:40:56 PM GMT
Joe, we have quite a few MLSs who interpret their IDX policy as allowing sharing of IDX listings on social media sites.

John, I think you're right on with this statement, which is why I'm thinking CMLS needs a best practice on this topic: "This sounds like a nightmare to police. To me, the best practice is first, if an agent wishes to display other offices' listings on their social media site it must comply with IDX rules. Second, if an office doesn't want their listings appearing on social media sites, they'll need to opt out of IDX completely. Building in a layered IDX opt-out that permits for just social media opt out sounds like a logistical nightmare."